Thursday, April 20, 2006

MYBRAND: The flashlight

"The most successful companies communicate their business in an experiential and emotional way." - Kim Castle, BrandU

I was sitting on the bus, when I started to mull what my brand could be. I love big issues, like human rights, and sexual assault, and gay rights, and all these things. I thought I could be like Aaron Sorkin, who combines humor with all these issues.

But then I remembered there was something else I loved... spooky stuff. Supernatural, even though it's not a fabulous show, is the only show I'm watching right now. I try to watch Charmed, too, since it's on its last season. What I like about spooky stuff is how you can turn off all the lights (or most, if you're reading), and it's dark and cozy. The image I got was the quintessential moment of the X-Files -- dark, blue, and Mulder and Scully walking around with their flashlights, looking for the dark things that were hidden there.

It dawned on me that this idea of a flashlight could be part of my brand. I am the flashlight that uncovers the dark stories, whether they be real -- like child molestation -- or imagined, like vampires and ghosts. The constant is willing to find things that are hidden and shine a light on them, if only for a brief time.

I have an image of my web page with a java flashlight in the corner, moving back across the page, illuminating with its beam my name. The flashlight would provide a strong visual and, I believe, would communicate it in an experiential way... possibly emotional if the whole page is somewhat spooky feeling.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home