Wednesday, May 10, 2006

MYBRAND: Don't just sell a product

By going through a reliable, systematic process of defining the very reason your business exists, it’s impact on people’s lives, the value it stands for, and the tools to precisely communicate all of that in an instant.
In other words— by defining your business as a brand. You can even do it yourself.
Not ready to play the business game as a brand?
Here are four ways, practiced by big brands, that you can use to expand the emotional value of what you sell.
1) Sell a relationship.Don’t just sell financial planning, sell someone you can relate to, Charles Schwab, “Talk to Chuck”
2) Sell an experience. Don’t just sell a cup of coffee, sell a hip, cozy place to connect, Starbucks.
3) Sell a cause.Don’t just sell popcorn and salad dressing, sell help and hope, Newman’s Own.
4) Sell a huge personal impact. (Mere benefits are no longer enough)Don’t just sell a natural sugar substitute, sell cancer prevention, Sweetleaf Plus.
Not willing to do that?
Put photos of happy people on your product packaging or service brochures instead of your “sizzling” product. That way, at least, you set the stage for people to put themselves in those “happy” shoes and take a small step towards you.
© 2006 Castle Montone, Limited

1. What do I provide in a relationship? I certainly like to talk about issues, and I like to learn about new perspectives. I often offer people to contact me if they want to talk about a certain issue, but few follow up on that. However, that would really tie into my "Input" strength, because I'll take the input from anywhere :)

2. I would say, possibly, that working with me is generally a pleasant experience. That's kind of bland, though. Better than a tiring experience.

3. I would love to sell a cause! My cause is inclusion, but if everyone were into inclusion, then there wouldn't be any exclusion. Also, to include me is to inherently exclude others. Well, not necessarily. I've often said that when I'm running my show, I want everyone coming up with me. I'm speaking on behalf of a ton of people who can't? Well, isn't that every writer? What specific people am I talking on behalf of? People with unpopular opinions? hehehe

4. It might be funny to say "I can cure your cancer!" I could say something like "I can cure your text problem." "I can cure your story problems." I could be the writing cure. Although, I don't really want it to sound medical cuz I'm not into that. The writing solution?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home